Saturday, January 24, 2009

Making Butter




Now THIS is something that we would probably never have done in California!

A wonderful friend that I have made since moving here, Sara, actually gets her milk raw and goes through the whole process of pasteurizing it herself. Along the way, she skims the cream off the top and makes butter. She invited a few ladies and our kids over one day to see the process if we were interested and I was game! It was really interesting and tastes "like butter" (Sara laughed at me when I said that! - DUH!)

For those that don't know... to make butter, you have to shake the jar for about 20 minutes. Mailee thought it was fun for about 2 and I did the rest! Tee Hee! All the moms were sitting around laughing as we shook and the kids tore apart Sara's toy room! Good times!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always did that with my pre-K class and Courtney did it in kindergarten IN CALIFORNIA silly. The kids usually lose interest quickly,, but it is a fun process. Glad it tasted like butter!

chrissoup said...

Pioneer women! Yes!

Teacher Mary said...

When I worked at Wil Wright's (a gourmet ice cream parlor in the 60's) I would be making whip cream in a big mixer (like a Kitchen Aid) and let it go too long and it would become butter! It would be hard to choose which is better: whip cream or butter--two of my favorite things! Lots of Love and Prayers!